Skip to main content

The Final Push to Summer



I was so happy to attend Danny’s last track meet in our home town for this season.  He participated in the 4x200, 4x100, and 200m.  The 4x200 team came sooooo close to qualifying for State.  2 hundredths of a second!  .02 was all that stood between them and getting to go. Wow.  I think that’s pretty good considering they only ran that relay a handful of times together.


Danny had his physics fair the same day as the track meet.  This end of year project is set to be a huge portion of this semester’s grade and he wanted to do really well.  Kate helped with the title and Hubby was there for science support and fixed the printer for him.  Danny dropped off salsa for Spanish class at school, went to the meet, came home for lunch, and went back to school with trifold in hand.  It was a busy day for him and he was set to run the 4x200 again the next day to try to get that spot at State.  Spoiler, they did not get a new season’s best so the season is over for them now.  This is actually good timing because basketball open gym is beginning again already.  P.S.  You would not believe the amount of work Michelle has done academically this semester and the kind of final projects she has to work on.  Luckily she has the APUSH test taken care of and the rest of that class should be coasting from here on out.  Super good thing because her Honors English final project is a doozy with two full pages of instructions.  There are literally like six projects inside of that one project.  Let’s just saw she should be able to catch any pop culture references to Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar after this.  And why isn’t this play called Brutus instead?  Isn’t he the main character?  I mean, I forgot how soon the *spoiler* happens.


Danny took himself to the track meet to run that event while I took Natalie to her softball tournament and Hubby worked on cutting down the branches that broke from the snow.  It was hard to believe that snow stop was only a short while ago because the broken branches and greener grass are the only evidence that is left.  Natalie’s team played in three games as part of pool play.  They won the first game, had a close game for the second, and lost the third game.  Kate went to that game for me so that I could come home and get ready for MH’s wedding reception.  Thank you, Kate!


Also that Saturday Michelle had her tennis banquet.  This is such a great group of girls and I’m glad they got to celebrate the season together.  I really really wanted to go to the tennis banquet but little did I know Michelle had other plans for me for the next day so I went to softball and Hubby got to go instead.  More on that surprise laster.  Thank you for V's mom for sending me this cute duo.  Natalie actually picked out that dress online for Michelle and I think it was perfect for the occasion.  I stole the other shot from Michelle's Instagram stories.  She has been so busy lately I haven't wanted to bug her too much for photos.


Meagan & Garrett’s wedding reception was so beautiful and fun.  They had it at a wedding venue I’ve never been to before that is actually only 15 minutes away from our house and it was amazing.  Plenty of space, gorgeous tables that they had decorated with baby blue, yummy food, friends, and a dance party that even included light up foam batons to dance with.  They thought of everything and you could tell everyone was so happy to be there.  Such a cute couple to wish the very best for.  Happy that this man is always willing to be my plus one!  Soon I will have been married to him longer than I was single.


The next day Hubby took Natalie to her softball tournament so that my 16-year-olds could kidnap me for Mother’s Day.  They took me to a painting class complete with Mother’s Day mocktails and then we ate lunch at Olive Garden.  Kate built me Lego flowers and gave me a card.  Natalie made her own card and gave me cute little gifts like lotion and handmade lip scrub from honey and sugar.  Hubby bought me new air pods that can help with hearing and translation.  They are great, especially for taking places.  And according to Apple, I don’t have as much hearing loss as my children led me to believe.  Lol 
I truly appreciated all the thought and planning that went into this holiday for me and am so grateful to be the World’s Okayest Mom.  (;


Hubby seems to be Natalie’s good luck charm because she played awesome that day and even earned “defensive player” of the tournament from her coaches.  Michelle and Danny and I did get to watch part of  her second game after we ate lunch and Danny waited to tell her that she was rolling her arms at bat and apparently during the 3rd game (after we headed home) she hit much better.  Apparently he still has some baseball in his soul and she is a good listener.


The spring orchestra concert took place on Tuesday.  There was the usual high school type concert things along with a lovely tribute to the seniors.  Symphonic orchestra played Florence Price's String Quartet in G major before the main event.  Dr. P invited her friends, Spinphony & their electric violins, to be guest players with the combined orchestra.  I felt like I was at a professional concert those last four pieces.  They did the following fun mashups that also suffice as dad jokes:
Bach/ACDC/Omara: Bach in Black
Pachelbel/Coldplay/Omara: Clocks Canon
Beethoven/Journey/Omara: Don't Stop Beethoven
& Mozart/Spears/Omara: Toxic.
Michelle said it was difficult to practice for but fun to perform.  I am grateful for their hard work because I  loved being there.  Did I tell you how lucky I was that I could get there in time after taking Natalie to softball practice?  Well, I am because practice ended on time, traffic was good, and the concert began about 5 minutes late.  All three things had to work together for me to be there before the music started.  This is in high contrast to all the times I’ve shown up late to something because it didn’t all work out in my favor.  I was thrilled that even though Michelle had come earlier in the truck she stuck around after the concert to make sure to get a photo with me before we got in separate cars to drive home.  So thoughtful.  And a thank you to my coworker, D, who sat in a location where she could actually see Michelle and shared this photo.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Pumpkin

Our Halloween pictures finally made it to the computer. I won't state the name, but let's just say we know a certain 15-month-old who likes to hide things, especially if they are small & silver like a memory card reader. (: Oh look, here she is now, dressed up as a pumpkin fairy! And check out the super neat pumpkin Danny carved. We actually had neighbors make the effort to come compliment him before trick-or-treating began! I have never experienced a Halloween where families hang out on the porch to hand out candy the entire night! I just can't get over how wonderful the weather has been this fall. If there weren't long term consequences, I could really like global warming. Here's the cute little girl helping to hand out candy. She was a huge hit with the teenage trick-or-treaters. My favorite costume of the night was a guy dressed up as a kissing booth. When Dan asked him if that was working for him he replied, "I got a kiss from a 6-year-old ...

Happy 250th Birthday

Please enjoy the following sunrise hike photos courtesy of Michelle.  You will not find me leaving the house at 3:00am to hike with friends but I am proud of my middle children when they do. Can an Independence Day blog post be complete without some time at the ball fields?  Natalie has her final tournament of the season and it was bittersweet to see the girls play so well but knowing this was the last chance they would have together before some of the girls (N included) aged out. I will always appreciate these coaches, players, and their families for truly making something special.  Pool play day was sunny and hot. My alarm went off at 5:30am to be at 7:00am warm ups an hour away. The first game was close but didn’t end the way we would have liked. The second game the girls took a solid beating and then after leading most of the third game, it ended in a tie. Natalie did some great work in the outfield and knows how to make those pitchers work when she hits those foul ba...

Some Explaining

Well, the time has come. We finally got the gutts to take an intentional photograph of what is soon to be a new addition to the family. Surprised? Well, if you haven't seen me in person lately, you should be! And yes, Dan & I were quite surprised too! A couple months after we brought Danny J. home from the hospital, I noticed how much more tired I was waking up in the middle of the night with him than I was when Kaelah was a newborn. I kept asking myself, is there really that big of a difference between ages 26 & 28? I didn't think anything of my period coming late b/c both Dan & I were complaining of nausea. Eventually I went to our family practice doctor & said, "I'm either pregnant or something is wrong with me that I want you to fix!" We ran the blood work & called the fertility specialist after he told me the rapid test came back VERY pink. From then we did the same thing we had done before. Held our breath & took LOTS of medi...