Skip to main content

新年快乐 aka Happy (Lunar) New Year



The day finally came for the Lunar New Year Festival that SCLA had been preparing for months on end.  Michelle was at the school from 8:30am to 7:00pm.  Official numbers say over 2,000 people attended this year, the most they have had since the pandemic.  I am so proud of Michelle and her friend Alex getting in front of a full gym and welcoming everyone to the event.  My dad, Hubby, Natalie, and a friend from her softball team, AG, all watched the performances in the gym.  Impressive and loud, it was a much different feeling heading into the auditorium to watch SC and NHS's orchestras perform.  There were also lots of booths to do things like brush painting and henna tattoos (thanks to Sam and Bess for doing ours!), plus food to try in the cafeteria and a drone show with art work from the contest to finish off the day.  Everything seemed to go very well and I honestly thought Michelle would sleep for 24 hours straight but lo and behold, she was off in the morning to go hiking with her hiking club.   This girl amazes me.





Do not fear, your basketball update is here.  We enjoyed a nail biter of an ending when we slowly watched Creek’s lead go from 20 points to 3 to ending up winning by 5.  Two of our starters fouled out with some of those fouls seriously confusing our fans.  Can’t remember if this was the game our coach got a technical but that happened as well.  I know I missed at least one game due to being sick with the flu but was feeling good enough to join our family, my parents, and Jane to watch our team play against our next closest high school.  A lot of these students are friends and neighbors with each other and/or went to middle school together, including Danny's best friend, C.  Glad these two are still besties after all those fouls... and went on a double date to Dairy Queen after the game.


After cheering her brother on from the student section, Michelle spent the next day at a SWE event at School of Mines exploring geologic, petroleum, and chemical engineering.  Although she is not super interested in pursuing petroleum engineering, she enjoyed their lab and presentation best and felt like she learned a lot.  This was also Hubby's first time hanging out at the school and it was also on Goldens in Golden day!  That has to be the best day to be there and made me wish we owned a golden retriever!  Especially since when I got home from taking Natalie to her first outdoor softball practice of the season I came home to my not golden messes my dog made while we were away. 


The next week was full of watching the Winter Olympics whenever we could but somehow school and work and orchestra and basketball and softball and Science Olympiad practice and all those things got in the way so it didn’t feel like we watched a lot. Tuesday we were actually very fortunate that Danny’s basketball game got delayed because that meant my parents and Hubby and I could all enjoy Natalie’s orchestra concert and then see his entire game.  We didn’t get a good fan club photo of either event but C’s mom got this one of I, N, C and A together and I stole the group photo from Instagram.


The 7th graders played Arctic Crossing, Dramatic Essay, Silhouettes, and Night Shift. Pops orchestra played Pirates of the Caribbean (my favorite), Back in Black (the one Hubby was most excited about) and music from Ratatouille.  My parents loved the whole thing and commented at how much all the orchestras had improved since the fall. My mother also remembered to buy flowers and I was so glad because I had been sick again and just wanted to make it through the work day and the concert and the basketball game without falling asleep. I had no trouble! At first I was a bit worried when the visiting team took a quick lead by about ten points but by half time the score was 32-32.  By the end of the 3rd quarter it was 45-44 and the home team managed to win by a full 10 points. Wow.


Next up was a cross town rival game that Hubby and Kate attended while I took Natalie to indoor softball practice. He texted us updates and sounds like the other team had a sad ending to their senior night. They started out down and almost had a comeback but our team won 52-36. What a way to enter a 4 day weekend!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Pumpkin

Our Halloween pictures finally made it to the computer. I won't state the name, but let's just say we know a certain 15-month-old who likes to hide things, especially if they are small & silver like a memory card reader. (: Oh look, here she is now, dressed up as a pumpkin fairy! And check out the super neat pumpkin Danny carved. We actually had neighbors make the effort to come compliment him before trick-or-treating began! I have never experienced a Halloween where families hang out on the porch to hand out candy the entire night! I just can't get over how wonderful the weather has been this fall. If there weren't long term consequences, I could really like global warming. Here's the cute little girl helping to hand out candy. She was a huge hit with the teenage trick-or-treaters. My favorite costume of the night was a guy dressed up as a kissing booth. When Dan asked him if that was working for him he replied, "I got a kiss from a 6-year-old ...

Happy 250th Birthday

Please enjoy the following sunrise hike photos courtesy of Michelle.  You will not find me leaving the house at 3:00am to hike with friends but I am proud of my middle children when they do. Can an Independence Day blog post be complete without some time at the ball fields?  Natalie has her final tournament of the season and it was bittersweet to see the girls play so well but knowing this was the last chance they would have together before some of the girls (N included) aged out. I will always appreciate these coaches, players, and their families for truly making something special.  Pool play day was sunny and hot. My alarm went off at 5:30am to be at 7:00am warm ups an hour away. The first game was close but didn’t end the way we would have liked. The second game the girls took a solid beating and then after leading most of the third game, it ended in a tie. Natalie did some great work in the outfield and knows how to make those pitchers work when she hits those foul ba...

Some Explaining

Well, the time has come. We finally got the gutts to take an intentional photograph of what is soon to be a new addition to the family. Surprised? Well, if you haven't seen me in person lately, you should be! And yes, Dan & I were quite surprised too! A couple months after we brought Danny J. home from the hospital, I noticed how much more tired I was waking up in the middle of the night with him than I was when Kaelah was a newborn. I kept asking myself, is there really that big of a difference between ages 26 & 28? I didn't think anything of my period coming late b/c both Dan & I were complaining of nausea. Eventually I went to our family practice doctor & said, "I'm either pregnant or something is wrong with me that I want you to fix!" We ran the blood work & called the fertility specialist after he told me the rapid test came back VERY pink. From then we did the same thing we had done before. Held our breath & took LOTS of medi...