Skip to main content

What a week!

 This is the kind of week (Jan 11-17) that makes me feel lucky to get to be a wife and mom and work part time at my youngest’s school.  First up, I got to drive Michelle and a couple friends to their Button Rock hike. Michelle is pleased her hiking club is growing in numbers.  I enjoyed hearing about how the hike went after Hubby brought her home, along with updates from her many other endeavors.



The same day as Michelle’s most recent hike Danny and Jane went to the Nuggets game with tickets J had gotten D for Christmas. They had so much fun and I heard it was a good game to be at! Meanwhile, some girls pulled up in front of our house, yelling and singing and honking their horn and then drove off.  Hubby and Michelle and I were in the hot tub and when we saw them coming back around, Hubby jumped out of the hot tub, went around the side of the house and scared them by putting his arms up and roaring.  They SCREAMED and drove off and we laughed and laughed... especially rewatching it all from our security camera footage.

On Tuesday I had a list a mile long of things to do on my day off but was rewarded by getting to watch Natalie’s last two intramural basketball games, with Hubby joining us for the last one. We might be biased but we are impressed with how much Natalie has learned in so little time. Even though she sees basketball as just something fun to do in the off season, Hubby and I think she could play in high school if she wanted to.

High school basketball was intense this week!  Our boys went into the week undefeated but met with two of the best teams in the league on Tuesday and Friday.  We were so excited to finally have home games and the whole family including my parents watched Danny play this week.  Our boys played hard and the student section cheering was top notch, especially against HF.  Hubby looked up the stats and even though our team beat HF 3 out of the 4 quarters of play and made it to within 5 points with 2 minutes left in the game, they just couldn’t pull ahead.  HF is the kind of opponent where Danny’s strengths really shine and we were so proud of him.  I need to get better at taking photos of his fan clubs too but here is one I got of my dad and Hubby.  My dad is hoping to come to a lot more games now that he has officially retired from Walmart.  His upcoming 80th birthday has made him realize he is lucky to have felt good enough to work so long but it's time to slow down.  I am so lucky to have him around!

Here is a great shot of Danny taken by LTC photographer, Matthew Jonas.  It puts all of my pictures to shame.


And a huge shout out to the student section for giving such amazing support to the team for both games, with photo curtesy of T.M.  And props to the H family for hosting a team lunch.  No wonder Danny doesn't want a team dinner at our house.  Our new back yard has nothing on theirs!


Saturday morning brought Natalie another softball practice, but this time they met at the library afterwards to make goals/vision boards for the new year.  I love how much these coaches care about the girls as a whole, not just as softball players.

Other Saturday activities included Danny and Jane making banana bread at her house and Hubby and I having a little fun with Will's AP Psych "baby" when we noticed it was left unattended.

We began the week talking about Michelle and we will end with one of her activities as well.   The LYSO got to play Sibelius's Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 43 with the LSO at their wonderful family program called "A Child's Book of Animals."  I wish Michelle could have seen the entire program since they didn't play until the end but Hubby, my dad, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole concert -- even the rapping swan that made us laugh out loud.  (Errol Shaw did a wonderful job adding voice to the entire presentation.)  I especially enjoyed hearing Camille Saint-Saens' Aquarium since everyone who watches movies knows the piece but we may not know where it came from.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Pumpkin

Our Halloween pictures finally made it to the computer. I won't state the name, but let's just say we know a certain 15-month-old who likes to hide things, especially if they are small & silver like a memory card reader. (: Oh look, here she is now, dressed up as a pumpkin fairy! And check out the super neat pumpkin Danny carved. We actually had neighbors make the effort to come compliment him before trick-or-treating began! I have never experienced a Halloween where families hang out on the porch to hand out candy the entire night! I just can't get over how wonderful the weather has been this fall. If there weren't long term consequences, I could really like global warming. Here's the cute little girl helping to hand out candy. She was a huge hit with the teenage trick-or-treaters. My favorite costume of the night was a guy dressed up as a kissing booth. When Dan asked him if that was working for him he replied, "I got a kiss from a 6-year-old ...

Happy 250th Birthday

Please enjoy the following sunrise hike photos courtesy of Michelle.  You will not find me leaving the house at 3:00am to hike with friends but I am proud of my middle children when they do. Can an Independence Day blog post be complete without some time at the ball fields?  Natalie has her final tournament of the season and it was bittersweet to see the girls play so well but knowing this was the last chance they would have together before some of the girls (N included) aged out. I will always appreciate these coaches, players, and their families for truly making something special.  Pool play day was sunny and hot. My alarm went off at 5:30am to be at 7:00am warm ups an hour away. The first game was close but didn’t end the way we would have liked. The second game the girls took a solid beating and then after leading most of the third game, it ended in a tie. Natalie did some great work in the outfield and knows how to make those pitchers work when she hits those foul ba...

Some Explaining

Well, the time has come. We finally got the gutts to take an intentional photograph of what is soon to be a new addition to the family. Surprised? Well, if you haven't seen me in person lately, you should be! And yes, Dan & I were quite surprised too! A couple months after we brought Danny J. home from the hospital, I noticed how much more tired I was waking up in the middle of the night with him than I was when Kaelah was a newborn. I kept asking myself, is there really that big of a difference between ages 26 & 28? I didn't think anything of my period coming late b/c both Dan & I were complaining of nausea. Eventually I went to our family practice doctor & said, "I'm either pregnant or something is wrong with me that I want you to fix!" We ran the blood work & called the fertility specialist after he told me the rapid test came back VERY pink. From then we did the same thing we had done before. Held our breath & took LOTS of medi...