Skip to main content

A Weekend of Thanks

Warning: this post has us in pajamas!
Thanks to our friend, Barb, we make cranberry applesauce every Thanksgiving. Yuuummy. This year was extra special b/c Grandma Karyl brought some of her Aunt Hope's apples back from Wisconsin. Kaelah got to crank the food mill & Danny sure did try to sneak a bite.
We did let him have a baby food veggie for the first time. I never knew a child could love squash so much! I tell you what, Gerber sure does taste better than it did 2 years ago (since they took out the fillers). I'm grateful for the price cut over what we bought Kaelah b/c this boy can EAT!
Kaelah & Danny love playing with the Legos Grandma & Grandpa bought last Christmas. And for some reason they actually will let them build tall towers before knocking them down. (:
Kaelah played Candyland for the first time this Thanksgiving & did a great job. The only "problem" was that if a card was drawn that matched one of our playing pieces she would move that piece to the next corresponding color instead of moving her piece there. Maybe next Thanksgiving we'll nail the rules down.
The day after Thanksgiving we were naughty & let Danny have Cool Whip while Kaelah napped. Happy first Thanksgiving, Danny J!
Danny also got promoted out of his infant car seat & into something more comfy. He was only a few pounds below the weight limit & had begun to complain every time we put him in it. Kaelah's seat cover also got washed & she got moved up to the next shoulder height. Now we can say they both love their Britax car seats again! (And thank goodness for Craigslist.)
One of our greatest blessings that weekend (and we have so many to be grateful for) was simply to have Daddy around. It was hard to believe, but we got to have him home for an entire 4 days. That hasn't happened since the week Kaelah was born over 2 years ago. Yes, he's been able to take time off work to visit/vacate with family, but he was HOME. It was soooo nice. He's our favorite person in the whole wide world & works so hard for us. It was great to see my hubby be able to enjoy his house & his family, decorate for Christmas, and eats lots of turkey.

Oh, & this Thanksgiving marks the big 5 year anniversary of us moving in! I can't believe it. The longest I ever lived in one place was 6 years (go Hawkeyes!) & we're almost there. Sure I hate writing that check for the mortgage every month & there is always work to be done (ex. Dan spent from 10am to 4pm minus lunch yesterday fixing 2 of our sinks), but it's ours & we love us. (;

Comments

If you really want to save money, make your baby food. Sweet potatoes (AKA yams, but also the real sweet potatoes) are super easy. All you do is wash them, poke holes in them, wrap them in plastic wrap, and microwave them just like you would a potato. Then mash them up and add a little water to be the right consistency for your kid, and Viola! you have made baby food. Basically all you need to do to make any baby food is cook the food really good, mash it, and add water. Super Easy! I didn't do it with Abigail, but I did with Bryant.
That applesauce sounds DELISH! Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Your blog is always a delight to read!
Cute pictures! And I can DEFINITELY relate to loving having a hubby around and actually "HOME." I can't wait for this school stuff to be over with so that I can have more days of Aaron "home." Keep in touch!!
Emily said…
I love the picture of Danny J with the whip cream on his nose and pumpkin pie next to him...so cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Pumpkin

Our Halloween pictures finally made it to the computer. I won't state the name, but let's just say we know a certain 15-month-old who likes to hide things, especially if they are small & silver like a memory card reader. (: Oh look, here she is now, dressed up as a pumpkin fairy! And check out the super neat pumpkin Danny carved. We actually had neighbors make the effort to come compliment him before trick-or-treating began! I have never experienced a Halloween where families hang out on the porch to hand out candy the entire night! I just can't get over how wonderful the weather has been this fall. If there weren't long term consequences, I could really like global warming. Here's the cute little girl helping to hand out candy. She was a huge hit with the teenage trick-or-treaters. My favorite costume of the night was a guy dressed up as a kissing booth. When Dan asked him if that was working for him he replied, "I got a kiss from a 6-year-old ...

Danny's 1st Year Video

Exactly one year ago today we got a call from our case worker. He told us there was a birth mother thinking of placing her son with us for adoption. Usually he didn't make such phone calls before an official decision was made, but he felt that this little boy was meant for us & we needed a little warning b/c the due date was June 12. Low & behold, 4 days later he called to say Dani had chosen us to be her baby's parents. 2 weeks later, we were bringing Danny home from the hospital. It is difficult to believe Danny's birthday is only 2.5 weeks away. When I look back I feel he & I were a little gipped with me getting pregnant so soon after he was born & becoming a big brother at only 9.5 months, but he is so healthy & happy. There is no way he could have been any better of a baby... I'm convinced he is the easiest/best little guy to have ever graced the planet. We are so blessed. He is truly a joy of a boy.

No check up, but doing great!

The pediatrician thought Kaelah was doing well enough to skip her 15-month check up... but I can't resist a formal update before she turns 16-months-old tomorrow. Of course I'll put this first on the list: Kaelah said her first Chinese word last week! Bi zi for nose -- which she heard for the first time in Hawaii. Looks like I'll have to pick out word #2 soon! Kaelah is selective about the music we listen to now. She'll either say, "no" or begin dancing. We're thrilled she will now fold her arms while we pray over the food & by her crib at night. Kaelah will also say "yummmm" while eating & will give high 5's and knuckles. I think you'll pick up most of the rest from the video. (: